Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Now That I Have a Copy of the Flor-Ala...

Bwahaha. You didn't think I would let a whole week go by without snagging a copy of the Flor-Ala and commenting on it? You were wrong! Here I am, with said copy.

THANK YOU to all the Flor-Ala people for putting the crossword back in, as WELL as a word-search! You people are awesome. Thank you. I guess I should thank you for putting in a sudoku puzzle as well, but I really don't do sudoku. My mom and my dad and my sister do, however, so I will probably just turn over it to them when I get home. I did the crossword and the word-search however. Elaine will do word-searches, but I generally don't do them as I consider them too easy, really. Crosswords and the odd cryptoquote are more of my speed. Yes, the cryptoquote. I am such a nerd. But I (and the lovely search bar & thesaurus) completed the crossword today with only one hitch: okay, what is 'end for ball or bass'? I have 'o_n'. If anybody knows what that is, I'd like to know. I did think of 'own' but 'atwz' for 'the gamut' seems odd. Word 2010 insists there is no word remotely resembling 'at_z' in its dictionary. So, I could have 'site' for 'location' wrong, but, really, what other word would fit there?

You know what would be really cool...? A LATIN crossword. Oh, man, that would be so totally awesome.

WHY do all the people whose tweets get in the Flor-Ala tweet only complaints? Someone mentioned that Wesleyan Hall smells like a 50-year-old sewer. Now, I have next to no sense of smell myself, but even I don't freak out over it. Okay, so it smells old. And a bit like old people's soap (that's the only way I can describe it). But not really like a sewer... Bibb Graves, by the way, always has that warm, humid, mildew-y smell to me. And while I'm on the subject of Bibb Graves, what is with that new sculpture-thing in the vestibule/atrium/double door area/whatever you want to call it? It didn't even have a plaque stating who had donated it or what it was entitled... and you know these pieces of modern art (*coughs sarcastically*) always have some sort of innovative title.

Someone else seems to have agreed with me about the sidewalks proclaiming, "Go Greek!" at least...

I don't know if I'm even going to vote in the SGA elections. I don't know a thing about any of the candidates except for Robert Thompson, and that only because he's in my German class. Though last semester Ralph Akonalu (PLEASE tell me I haven't horribly misspelled this) was in my Calculus class. I was totally ignorant of it until I opened a Flor-Ala one week, saw a picture of him, and went, "Hey... he's in calculus..."

I probably shouldn't bring this up, but I'm not real sure what to do about the REAL elections today, either. Yeesh. Obviously, this is the first time I'll be able to vote. But I'm not in the mood to go on a rant, so I'm not going to say anything.

I know! I'll talk about more pleasant things. Totally ignoring the fact that that Hunger Games movie is coming out (which, despite being told repeatedly that it is the most wonderful thing since sliced bread, I have no intentions of watching or reading), it's not quite two weeks until spring break! There's that to look forward to. And on May 1st, The Serpent's Shadow by Rick Riordan comes out! And in the fall, The Mark of Athena (also by him) comes out! AND ON DECEMBER 14th THE HOBBIT: AN UNEXPECTED JOURNEY COMES OUT!!!!!!!

Okay... I usually don't go overboard with the exclamation marks as I consider exclamation-mark-abuse to be a hallmark of middle-schoolers, but I'll make an exception in the case of The Hobbit. Anything by Tolkien is Five-Stars Awesome automatically, so even if it's not The Lord of the Rings I will still go nuts over it. Have you seen the trailer? "Far over the misty mountains cold, to dungeons deep and caverns old... The pines were roaring on the height, the winds were moaning in the night. The fire rose red, the flames spread. The trees like torches blazed with light..."

That shows how pathetic I am. I have memorized the song from the trailer. I also know the names of almost all the leading actors (and there's about 15 of them, including Gandalf). Is that a bad thing? This is, of course, after knowing all the DWARVES' names by heart: "Bilbo, allow me to introduce Fili, Kili, Oin, Gloin, Balin, Dwalin, Bifur, Bofur, Bombur, Dori, Nori, Ori, and the leader of our company, Thorin Oakenshield."

No, I'm not at all embarrassed of my Tolkien obsession. Can you tell?

In Pace Christi,

Elyse

No comments:

Post a Comment