Saturday, April 13, 2013

I Know, I'm Breaking My Own Rule



This was the cryptoquote in the paper today:

Every artist dips his brush in his own soul, and paints his own nature into his picture.

- Henry Ward Beecher

Now, I know I have reminded myself upon numerous occasions not to drone on and on about the stories I write on this blog, and I have never even considered my pictures since I have never scanned them in to a computer, except for this one. (I did it for a presentation on medieval armor. Said presentation did not go so well - not because of the picture - but I will avoid PowerPoint whenever possible from now on.

Why am I posting it? Dunno. It's not as if this is one of my most wonderful pictures or anything. It's just a semi-random guy in armor, with a spear (which ran off the page) and a sword. Not even a helmet of his own, poor dude.

I mean, I could explain who he is and what is his purpose in the story he is in, but that would make no sense to anyone... Well, I can say that his name is Delathon, because that was on the page. I also wrote his name in the runes I devised for my story. They're called the Talvana, and I admit that they were inspired by Tolkien's Cirth. Because anything I can do well, Tolkien did better. It's just a fact of life.

However, I just felt it was appropriate to stick this picture on this post. Because the cryptoquote really resonanted with me. I have often felt that my characters reflect different facts of me (one got my eating habits, another got my facial tics, another got my Grammar Nazi ways, another got my tendency to go on rants...).

Let's just hope that it's not like Sauron and the One Ring. If my stories are lost, I don't want to explode. Granted, I would be extremely sad as I have worked for years and years on them now. I probably couldn't ever fully recapture them.

But I hope I wouldn't explode. That would be bad.

In Pace Christi,

Elyse

No comments:

Post a Comment