Wednesday, November 6, 2013

I See Fire - Music Video

Look what Sir Peter Jackson posted. It's even more beautiful when clips from AUJ and DoS are thrown in to emphasize the point of the song.


This is what people on the Internet have been able to decipher of the lyrics:

Oh, misty eye of the mountain below,
Keep careful watch of my brothers' souls,
And should the sky be filled with fire and smoke
Keep watching over Durin's sons.

If this should end in fire,
Then we should burn together,
Watch the flames climb higher into the night,
Calling out for the rope, sent by and we will
Watch the flames burn over and over
The mountain side.

And if we should die tonight,
Then we should all die together.
Raise a glass of wine for the last time,
Calling out for the rope.
Prepare as we will
Watch the flames burn over and over
The mountain side.

Desolation comes upon the sky

Now I see fire
Inside the mountain.
I see fire
Burning the trees.
And I see fire
Hollowing souls.
And I see fire,
Blood in the breeze.
And I hope that you remember me.

Oh, should my people fall in,
Surely I'll do the same.
Come finding mountain holes,
We got too close to the flame.
Calling out for the rope,
All fuzzing we will
Watch the flames burn and over
The mountain side

Desolation comes upon the sky

Now I see fire
Inside the mountain.
I see fire
Burning the trees.
And I see fire
Hollowing souls.
And I see fire,
Blood in the breeze.
And I hope that you remember me.

And if the night is burning,
I will cover my eyes,
For if the dark returns then
My brothers will die.
And as the sky's falling down
It crashed into this lonely town
And with that shadow on the ground
I hear my people screaming out.

Now I see fire
Inside the mountain.
I see fire
Burning the trees.
And I see fire
Hollowing souls.
And I see fire,
Blood in the breeze.

I see fire (fire)
And I see fire (fire)
And I see fire (fire)
And I see fire (burn on and on and mountain side).
 
There are already videos on YouTube offering to teach you how to play this song. No, seriously. It's been out for, what - a day? This is the fandom to which I belong!
 
This is what Peter Jackson has to say about it on his Facebook page:
 
We have a tradition in our Tolkien films of having a song over the closing credits. It's very important that the song feels right for the world of the movie - and also carries the emotional resonance of the end of that particular film.

The Desolation of Smaug is no different. The ending of this film requires a voice and sensibility that will allow an viewer to process what they have just experie...
nced.

It's always tricky to think of the right person to create and performance these songs. Someone who shares our passion for Tolkien, and somebody who is prepared to respect the film.

This year we are thrilled to have Ed Sheeran write and perform our closing song, "I See Fire".

My daughter Katie, deserves total credit for bringing Ed to our movie. He was touring New Zealand earlier this year, and Katie introduced me to his music. Beautiful haunting songs, full of passion and coming from a very genuine place in his heart.

We heard that Ed was a fan of our movies, so while he was playing in Wellington, we invited him around for a tour.

He then headed off to join Taylor Swift on a concert tour. But we had exchanged e-mail addresses.

A few weeks ago, we were puzzling about who to approach about the song that had to be written and recorded very quickly. We now had a strong feeling about the tone of the song, but we needed to find the right voice.

Katie reminded us about how great Ed's voice was, and how right it would be. Fran and I got it the second she mentioned it.

And I had his e-mail address.

I wrote to him on a Sunday morning, and asked if he was interested. He would need to fly down to NZ to see the movie, because it was critical he write from the perspective of the audience.

Within 48hrs he was in Wellington, having immediately jumped on a plane from London with his manager Stuart Camp, who was instantly supportive and helpful.

Ed watched the movie at Park Road Post, immediately went into a room, and started writing and singing. Much of what you will hear on this song was recorded that same day, with a few overdubs and tweaks the following day.

Despite having never played the violin in his life, Ed thought he might try overdubbing one himself, and Katie raced out to borrow a rather battered one from a school friend.

Pete Cobbin from Abbey Road was at Park Road mixing Howard's musical score, and was able to mix the song with Ed.

It was a great experience, and what you will see in this video are moments captured by our behind the scenes team during the creation of the song.

But the images are only supporting Ed's wonderful song. This is his direct emotional response to seeing The Desolation of Smaug, written and performed on the same day he saw the movie.

I am very proud to present "I See Fire”.

We're all going to see fire, come December 13th.

In Pace Christi,

Elyse






No comments:

Post a Comment